Chester resident Victor Hursh, at the scene of Sunday’s mobile home fire in Chester, was able to capture this view before additional emergency vehicles and personnel converged on the location. Photo by Victor Hursh
Sirens screamed through Chester Sunday, Sept. 15, at an hour most families were sitting down to breakfast.
Chester Fire Rescue had been toned out at 8:19 a.m. to respond to a report of a debris fire in the backyard of a singlewide mobile home at 327 First Ave.
“ As soon as the first unit arrived on scene they discovered the residence was on fire,” Chester Fire Capt. Chris Dean said.
The discovery further resulted in an 8:29 a.m. call out for mutual aid. In addition to Chester Fire’s ladder truck, engine and ambulance, CalFire responded four engines and crew; Lake Almanor West Fire arrived with two engines and Prattville Fire with one engine.
Although the lot size containing the mobile home was narrow and obstacle filled, firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby homes. The only visible damage observed to one of the next-door residences was a number of burnt fence boards at 325 First Avenue.
The fire fully engulfed the mobile home leaving no salvageable personal property.
Capt. Dean officially declared the fire out at 9:19 a.m. and instructed crews to begin mop up operations.
In the process, crews carried out a melted television set, more appliances and badly burned pieces of furniture.
After a shout out from one of the firefighters that he smelled propane, fire crews also located and carried out of the mobile’s side yard, three propane tanks found lying close to the smoldering structure.
When asked about the source of the fire, Dean responded, “Because of the apparent total loss of the structure and property, the scene will be turned over to the CalFire arson investigator.”
Plumas County Sheriff’s Office deputies and the California Highway Patrol also responded to the emergency.
A crew from Pacific, Gas, and Electric Co. was called out and arrived on location at 10;03 hours to secure the power sources.
At approximately 11:08 a.m. all CalFire units were released from the scene.
Quincy, Portola tip off basketball seasons
Quincy’s Brady Rick looks for his best passing option during the Trojans’ game against Excel Christian on Dec. 5. The Trojans won 63-48. Photos by James Wilson James...Read More...
Greenville hosts basketball tournament
Walker Myers makes the layup during Greenville’s game against Providence Christian last Friday. The Indians won 46-30 before continuing on to play two more teams...Read More...
FRC volleyball team receives recognition
Just because the 2013 successful season is over for Feather River College’s volleyball team, it doesn’t mean the celebrations...