75 YEARS AGO..........1937
The 30 room Beckwith Hotel and many other buildings were destroyed by fire last Saturday morning. The building was believed to have started when a gasoline motor backfired and ignited a gas line. The hotel burned to the ground in 20 minutes. The fire also destroyed a blacksmith shop, three residences and part of a garage.
50 YEARS AGO..........1962
A airplane from Buchanan Field in Concord was broken in two when it skidded off the runway at Gansner Field in Quincy but its occupants, 3 women, walked away unhurt and proceeded to keep a luncheon appointment at the home of Mrs. O.B. Brown.
25 YEARS AGO..........1987
Pacific Gas & Electric Company (PG&E) got a new look recently when the company redesigned its company logo on its trucks which includes a new symbol, the PG&E spotlight in new colors of blue, gold and white that replaces the old symbol of the brown and beige logo on trucks, uniforms, and other equipment and advertising.
10 YEARS AGO..........2002
October 10 marked the 50th anniversary of the 50-year-old murder of Guard Young and his children in Chester by Jack Santo and Emmett Perkins.
An outbreak of parvo-virus has been found in Indian Valley, Taylorsville and Quincy and found its way to the Plumas County animal shelter.
Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.
75 YEARS AGO..........1937
The Plumas National Forest this week started planting 50 miles of trees: Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines extending 50 miles located on the Feather River Middle Fork slopes of Meadow Valley where fires years ago destroyed all forest trees.
Art students at Plumas County schools are working on sketches for the new Kilpatric Grocery Store trademark. The contest, in which cash prizes are offered, is expected to furnish the store with a company design that can be used as a trademark for newspaper advertising and general public recognition.
75 YEARS AGO.....1937
William Yuhas, scheduled to stand trial in Plumas County Superior Court for the second time for the murder of Scott Bayes at Keddie July 13, will plead guilty of murder in the second degree. The first jury to try Yuhas was discharged after deliberating 21 hours and could not agree on a verdict.
75 YEARS AGO........1937
Incorporation of Quincy as a city was favored in a resolution adopted by the Quincy Chamber of Commerce this week.
Property title to a triangular lot at the junction of Main Street and Lawrence Street in Quincy by J.D. Harrison of Massack was transferred to him this week and he plans to build a service station on the property.
Page 8 of 36