Fire alarm saves Nakoma and won’t impact upcoming Snowball festivities
A fire alarm at the Nakoma Clubhouse in Gold Mountain contacted the Plumas County Sheriff’s Office automatically, thereby getting firefighters to the scene early enough to prevent major damage to the structure.
According to the Gold Mountain Homeowners Association, sometime after 10 p.m. the night of Wednesday, Jan. 18, the Nakoma fire alarm system activated a fire dispatch call. Portola Fire Chief Travis Schiavone responded with a Portola fire pump unit and his crew and found smoke coming from the lodge.
Eastern Plumas Rural Fire Protection District and Beckwourth Volunteer Fire Department responded with crews and three more pump units.
The smoldering fire was in the floor area under the bar fireplace. The ignition was thought to have been caused by electrical wiring in the sub-floor area. Sprinklers in the downstairs spa area had gone off but were not effective since the fire was burning above them in the downstairs ceiling area.
Local volunteer firefighters worked mostly downstairs from below and extinguished the fire in the small hours of the night. They were able to accomplish that without causing much additional damage.
The entire Nakoma management staff showed up and many were still there Thursday morning to assess the damage.
Some repairs will be necessary on the first floor in a small area of the bar floor near the fireplace.
Dan Gallagher, vice president of development for Schomac Group Inc., owners of the resort (also home to the renowned Dragon golf course), said the damaged areas are already being repaired and he expects the facility to be open and fully operational by next week.
He added that everyone involved with organizing or those who are planning to attend the 19th annual Redstreake Snowball festivities Feb. 25 from 7 to 11 p.m. can rest assured this incident won’t have any affect on that event.
“Like all the other groups and individuals involved, our entire Schomac team at Nakoma is completely committed to this year’s Snowball celebration and we won’t let the repairs on this minor fire damage have any bearing on the festivities that will be held in our clubhouse,” Gallagher said.
“Without alarms and quick response, this fire could very easily have done major damage,” the Gold Mountain Homeowners Association reported. “Our thanks go out to our neighbor volunteer firefighters for yet another effective fire response.”
Additional reporting by Publisher Mike Taborski.