• Linda Gillam
  • image
  • almanor energy
  • coldwellbanker
  • image

   These are a few of the stories you will find in this week's printed newspaper:

  • Not guilty plea: The man charged with first-degree murder in the December, 2014, death of a Greenville woman pleaded not guilty last week.
  • More Jefferson talk: Proponents of the state of Jefferson packed the Board of Supervisors room for the third time April 14, but once again did not walk away with the county’s support.
  • School cuts: The Plumas Unified School District is facing a $3 million budget deficit for the next school year, which will result in funding cuts in many areas.

Reward in arson case increased to $2,100

Dan McDonald
Staff Writer

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of an arsonist was increased to $2,100 last week.

Anyone with information about a May 21 fire that destroyed a house at 1195 Lee Road in East Quincy is encouraged to call the Quincy Fire Department at 283-0870 or the CalFire Arson Tip Line at (800) 468-4408.

Quincy Fire Chief Robbie Cassou originally offered a reward of $1,000.

Cassou said the reward grew thanks to a $100 donation from Lori and Mike Gordon, and $500 from Lisa Hopman.

Hopman is the wife of fire Capt. Bill Hopman, who suffered a fatal heart attack after responding to an accidental chimney fire in January.

Gloria Burgess, the owner of the Lee Road house, who lives in Gilchrist, Ore, added an additional $500 to the fund June 3.

“I’m very pleased to see the support we are getting from the public on this,” Cassou said. “I think people understand the realization of what our volunteers are up against.”

The May 21 fire, which was battled by 25 firefighters — 18 of them volunteers, was ruled an arson just hours after the blaze was extinguished.

After clearing debris from one of the back rooms, there were obvious signs of flammable liquid trails on the floor, according to a fire department press release.

The house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived shortly before 2 a.m. It had been vacant for more than a year.

Burgess said she and her husband moved to Oregon after her husband’s job at the sawmill ended.

The Burgesses rented out the house after they moved.

“We loved Quincy and that little house,” Gloria Burgess said. “I was last there in April 2010 to find the house trashed by the previous tenant. There were windows broken and trash everywhere. They left us with six months of unpaid rent and a huge sewer bill to pay.

“Now this arson. We had no insurance, couldn’t afford it. This was not an abandoned house to us, but much more.”

The investigation has been turned over to the Plumas County Sheriff’s Office.


  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • Image
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex


Yellow Pages