Museum docent Sherie Grate refurbishes the “Barbed Wire that Won the West” display donated to the Plumas County Museum by John and Gladys Gray. Photos submitted
Docent Linda Reid Wallace has volunteered to keep the Plumas County Museum in Quincy open on Sundays starting May 5.
As of this writing, the hours will be 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Besides cataloging artifacts, Wallace has also developed a small exhibit on volunteer fire departments of Plumas County utilizing in part items recently donated by Quincy’s Tati Erickson. Featured are a brass speaking trumpet, round bottom bucket and various patches, badges, caps and photographs.
Museum docents Sherie Grate and Keith Nicoles teamed up to rebuild the museum’s barbed wire collection display, originally assembled and donated by the late John and Gladys Gray of Quincy.
Entitled “Barbed Wire that Won the West,” it is a collection of some 47 different styles of barbed wire the Grays collected before making the donation Oct. 9, 1969. Over the years, barbed wire collectors have amassed upwards of 600 different styles of this prickly metal from all over the American West.
Behind the scenes, Nancy Nicoles has been busy cataloging the museum’s massive collection of abstracts of title, documents detailing the chain of ownership of various properties throughout Plumas County since its earliest days.
The collection was donated by Fidelity Title when it closed shop in Quincy.
Jo Ann Filippi, of Meadow Valley, retired as museum registrar and now a volunteer, has been documenting and cataloging items in the museum’s extensive archival collection.
The collection is comprised of thousands upon thousands of items ranging from pioneer diaries; court documents; postcard and photograph albums; scrapbooks; unpublished manuscripts; civic, fraternal and sorority organization documents; business records; and much more — she estimates that she should complete the task sometime around the year 2525!
Lisa Hopman has also been working diligently on the Superior Court cases collection, and with only some twenty or thirty thousand cases to go, she is confident she will be right there with Jo Ann in 2525.
Yardmaster Sally Nichol has been working hard in the 1878 Variel Home gardens and the 1875 Hall-Lawry House yards, de-winterizing and coaxing out the spring shrubs and flowers. At any given time you might find her down amongst the roses and thorns pulling weeds and transplanting bulbs.
As we gear up for spring and summer we have several new tour guides for the 1878 Variel Home to give tours to museum visitors. Keith and Nancy Nicoles and Linda Reid Wallace have volunteered to take some of the pressure off of longtime Variel Home guide Ann Castaldini.
Museum Director Scott Lawson invites everyone to come by the Plumas County Museum to see these changes and more. Regular hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and, starting May 5, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Sunday. Due to staff reductions, Lawson requests that visitors call ahead at 283-6320 to confirm hours and tour availability.
FRC rodeo to open arena for anyone brave enough
This cowboy holds on for dear life during last year’s saddle bronc riding portion of the rodeo clinic at Feather River College. For the third year, FRC’s rodeo...Read More...
New class plans paddle fest
Quincy locals try out some human-powered boats at last year’s Plumas Paddle Fest, presented by the Outdoor Recreation Leadership program of Feather River College....Read More...
Fishing Report for the week of 4/18/2014
Robert Paulson, of Meadow Valley, holds up the 23-pound Mackinaw he caught at Bucks Lake on April 6. Photo submitted