Remember When for the week of 5/2/2012

Keri Taborski
Feather Publishing Historian

75 YEARS AGO.........1938

    Advertisement: Get an early start on opening day of fish season and get a good start with breakfast at Capitol Cafe in Quincy and you will feel like going out after them fish. Open 24 hours a day.

50 YEARS AGO...........1963

    The return of Wells Fargo Bank to Plumas County--Quincy--after an absence of more than 50 years became a reality when the bank leased space for a branch to be located on the ground floor in the Miner’s Exchange building at 75 Main Street. Robert Mayfield has been named manager with Lowell Howell as assistant manager.

25 YEARS AGO.........1988

    To date, the Plumas County Clerks office reports that there are 10,716 registered voters in Plumas County among an estimated total county-wide population of 19,555, 6,115 are registered as Democrats, 4,315 are Republicans, 140 Independents, 26 Peace & Freedom, 28 Libertarians, 6 stated as other and 86 decline to state party affiliation.

10 YEARS AGO............2003

    After the City of Portola flag located on the Gulling Street bridge was stolen and citizens complained that the flag was not ever lit properly, the Portola City Council will install a light to shine on the newly installed all-weather flag during dark hours.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.


Contact Us
Local Events
Building Contractor

"); pageTracker._trackPageview(); } catch(err) {}